Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Even More Reflections...

The following are reflections from two more students, Meg and Maggie.  I definitely agree with Maggie that I hope more teachers decide to use it in their classrooms, write grants for it, etc., whatever it takes to utilize this technology.

When our class was told we would be receiving Kindles this year I was really excited to explore this format of reading, since I have never used any type of e-reader before. I am so happy that our class was lucky enough to get the opportunity to try this new type of reading as it has definitely made reading easier and I feel more motivated as well. Specifically, I like how the Kindle has a lot of interesting features such as the "text-to-speech" option and the ability to search for specific terms in each book. Moreover what I enjoy most I think, is that it is very light in my backpack. This is very helpful since I carry many other books and supplies for other classes. Although one must be careful placing and transporting the Kindle in a backpack, these are easy sacrifices to make. In addition to the interesting features and its lightweight, the Kindle has really motivated me to read more, as it has a feeling of newness.-Meg

So far, using the Kindle to read our class novels has really motivated me to read more than I normally would. The ease of use is one of the contributing factors, yet I feel that the simple fact of the Kindle being a new type of technology (to me at least) has caused me to take a greater interest in what we are reading. The Kindle allows me to have more "fun" as I read, making me feel as if what I was reading wasn't actually a task, but a choice. Kindle has a lot of useful features to utilize during the reading as well, such as the notes feature, dictionary look up, and page jump. I have found all of these tools to be extremely beneficial in our class so far. As an overall classroom tool, I give the Kindle a 10 out of 10, and I hope that this experimental class urges more teachers to use it in their classrooms instead of asking students to lug books around from class to class. The Kindle could become a standout factor for Waldwick High School, and it could definitely fit into Mr Carroll's current technology-based way of running things. I thoroughly enjoy using the Kindle every day, and I'm so glad Mrs. Kish has pushed for these to be a part of our curriculum! -Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment